Wednesday 11 February 2015

Funko Pop vinyl figures

Today I will talk about a line of popular collectibles that I have been seeing on YouTube. These collectibles are the Funko Pop http://funko.com/ vinyl figures. These vinyl figures represent characters in pop culture, whether it be movies, cartoon, toys, or dolls. They come in varying sizes but are uniform in certain characteristics.

I am going to be upfront about this. I am not a big fan. But I wish I was because these figures are everywhere and seem to immortalize everything that is popular. There are so many groups and series of Funko Pops. The most popular series by far, at least among the YouTube channels I subscribe to, seem to be My Little Pony. I have seen many video reviews of these. The My Little Pony figures seem to come in many variants. Here are a few pictures:
Picture courtesy of www.thinkgeek.com
 


Picture courtesy of www.funkopoppriceguide.com
 





Picture courtesy of www.toywiz.com
 

Picture courtesy of www.toyreviewdaily.com


Why am I not a fan of Funko Pop? It stems from what I like about miniatures. The main things about miniatures that appeal to me is this: viewing details on an unusually small scale. For me, the most realistic the detail, the better. The Funko Pop vinyl figures are known for their big square-shaped heads that outsize their bodies. This uniform shape of head limits the amount of detail and realism that is captured in the character of popular culture that is being portrayed.
My Little Pony is perhaps not the best example to use because these are cartoon characters so realism is not really something that comes into consideration for this series. Ghostbusters is another series of Funko Pop collectibles. This is a well-known movie with characters portrayed by actors that are human beings. Let’s take a look at these figures:

Ghostbusters car
Picture courtesy of firewireblog.com
 



Ghostbusters group
 Picture courtesy of www.gbfans.com
 

Other than the ghost and monster aspects of the movie and the way the ghostbusters are dressed, the figures are not that realistic looking to me.
In addition to the uniformly square shaped heads, there is a lack of articulation with the limbs and waistline of the bodies. The heads can move from side-to-side and there are also figures who are bobble-heads. But other than that, versatility for displaying and posing is non-existent. I suspect that this may be why these figures are so popular. It is due to their uniformity and oversized heads. Uniformity is one element that may make something a collectible. The item will be compatible and fit in with other items in a collection due to similarity in appearance such as size and shape. I also think that the oversized head adds an amusing comical effect for the collector. The appearance represents a memory of something the collector enjoys but presents it in a new funny way.

Funko Pop figures are more recently established collectibles, with the Funko company being founded as a Bobblehead company in 1998 http://funko.com/pages/about-us . So I was surprised to view a video in which Funko Pop figures from the 1980s movie “Sixteen Candles” were displayed in a store. I supposed it shouldn’t be that surprising to me since there is a series from the movie Ghostbuster although I consider Ghostbuster more of an iconic movie than Sixteen Candles. Those of you who are under a certain age have probably never heard of Sixteen Candles but are familiar with the Ghostbusters franchise.

Cast from Sixteen Candles
Picture courtesy of fuckyeahfunko.tumbler.com
 

Jake Ryan from Sixteen Candles
Picture courtesy of popvinyls.com
 


Samantha Baker from Sixteen Candles
 Picture courtesy of popvinyls.com
 
Many YouTube channels post video reviews of these types of figures, with some actually being primarily devoted to Funko Pops. The following are a few channels featuring Funko Pops:

Despite my lack of enthusiasm, I still like to watch these video reviews and I do like to check out the store in my neighborhood mall that has an entire wall display of Funko Pop vinyl figures. I am hoping that perhaps just the right movie will be featured with just the right amount of detail. Then I may become part of the Funko Pop craze.

No comments:

Post a Comment