Monday 20 October 2014

Yee Ma opens her first blind boxes

After watching numerous videos on YouTube of blind bag openings, I decided to give into the craze. Tonight, I will open up my very first blind boxes.

Blind bags or boxes are also known as "mystery minis". These are toys packaged in such a way that the identity of the exact item inside is unknown. Blind boxes are very popular with collectors, who like the surprise element of finding out which toy they are getting and whether it is a new addition to their collection or a duplicate. All the possible toys are pictured on the back of the box.


But where do I find these blind box collector items? I didn’t want to order online because I wanted to select them myself.

I searched in several card stores and Target. There were some Funko brand figurines at the card stores but I didn’t have any luck finding what I wanted.

I ended up in a store called Gizmos Galaxy, which is where I should have visited in the first place. Gizmos is one of those stores that I always pass by without going inside. This store has a wall that is plastered with Funko figurines. If there was any place that would have what I wanted, it's a store that has a whole wall of Funko figurines.

The Hallowe'en style Hello Kitty figurines were at Gizmos Galaxy! Each was priced at $6.95 or you can buy five for $30. I purchased five.

This is what Hello Kitty normally looks like:

What makes these collectibles so appealing is that each Hello Kitty is dressed in a different Hallowe’en costume. Some even glow in the dark. There is one that is Hello Kitty dressed as a cat. A kitty dressed as a cat. That is SO funny.

On the front of each box, Hello Kitty is pictured dressed as a mummy and also as a green zombie, complete with stitches on her head and ripped clothing. On second thought, maybe this green zombie is supposed to be Frankenstein?


On the back of each box, the possible figurines and their respective probabilities are displayed. Some of the most common ones are: ghost, vampire, and skeleton Hello Kitty. Each of these is listed as a 2 in 24 possibility. The rarest figurines are glow in dark zombie (Frankenstein?) and Hello Kitty dressed as a devil, with rarities of 1 in 144 and 1 in 72 respectively.

Picture courtesy of http://thenerdfu.com/funko-reveal-halloween-vinyls-coming-in-august-september/

In the excitement of choosing my five boxes, I forgot to check for serial numbers at the bottom of the box. Sometimes you can make sure you don’t get duplicates by making sure you select ones with different serial numbers. I did check my boxes and couldn't find anything resembling serial numbers.

Let`s open up the boxes!

This is the first one I got:


I'm not sure what this is. It is a 2 in 24 so it is a common one. I tested it out by turning off the lights. It is not glow-in-the-dark.

Second box opening … it’s a witch! This is so cute.



Here is my third figurine, which does glow in the dark:




I’ve decided to save my last two boxes for another time.

Each of these figurines has a head that can turn and swivel on its body so you can pose them. I think the best thing about these is seeing Hello Kitty with an unusual and unexpected appearance. In addition, opening these up is liking having a mini Christmas.

Speaking of Christmas, I hope that they come out with Christmas themed ones. I will be on the lookout for them but I’m sure that if there are any, I will find out via YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment